Baroque & nature
TOUR INFORMATION *
"The train station at the starting point welcomes us with a friendly" Grüß Gott in Bad Schussenried ". First we keep left counterclockwise and follow the hiking trail number 3 marked with the Törle or the cycle path to Kürnbach - whoever visits the museum village beforehand will, stay on path 3. Under the railway, we initially walk on the Vorderen Enzisholzweg and after 400 m again turn right on the cycle path on path 3. As soon as we have left the Enzisholz, the tower of Bad Schussenrieder greets us from the west Parish church St. Magnus. On a field path we turn right to the hamlet of Olzreute. In the direction of “Lauhaus” we orientate ourselves on path no. 5 and the sign “Steinhausen 3 km”. Below left is the Olzreuter See. Behind the hamlet of Lauhaus goes continue left on the asphalt bike path to the fork in the HW5 (Black Forest-Swabian Alb-Allgäu-Weg) to the Franzosengrab a memorial to the warriors who fell in 1796. The parish church of St. Peter and Paul in Steinhausen is already visible from afar. Be careful when crossing the busy L 283!
After visiting the village church, we leave Steinhausen without any signposts on the Weiherweg and follow it for 1 km parallel to the country road in a westerly direction. After crossing the L 283 again, we have to walk a short stretch along the L 284 and then follow the circular path 5 (also: blue bar). He brings us to the Maria auf dem Berge chapel, which can be seen from afar.
Here station 8 of the geological nature trail informs us about the formation of peat from the silted-up lakes. In front of the chapel there is a panorama board with which we can find the distant Alpine peaks from the Zugspitze to the Säntis.
Back on the geopath, we follow it to the northwest to the Lassaulx Bank, another great vantage point into the Schussen basin. Shortly afterwards, a board above the small lake at Buchbühl explains what the geologist understands by a dead lake.
To get to the next information board, we descend to the route of the disused peat railway and make a small detour to the right under the bridge. At this point the Alpine glacier has unloaded a boulder weighing around 50 t: a boulder.
On the opposite side of the peat track we reach the geologically most interesting point of the nature trail, the origin of the shot at the inner edge of the Worm Ice Age terminal moraine. Although the Schussen spring is located on the European watershed between the Danube and the Rhine, it ignores it: its water flows southwards under the moraine. After 56 km it flows into Lake Constance, so it drains towards the Rhine. A memorial commemorates the excavation of an Ice Age camp site carried out by hunters and gatherers in 1866. The 13,000 year old bones and implements were the first Paleolithic finds in Central Europe.
Until the end of the tour, we largely follow the course of the Schussen or the route of the disused peat railway. The Geopath ends at the Glacier Garden with a collection of well-traveled large blocks of stone that bear witness to the glaciation.
On the left, Pfarrer-Leube-Straße brings us to the area of the former monastery, today a center for psychiatry. After visiting the monastery church, we leave the monastery area through the Törle for a stroll through Bad Schussenried.
Then we go to the Schussen Bridge on Biberacher Strasse. From here on, the river was renatured in 2008: where it was previously dammed, the Schussen flows naturally again in a new bed and thus offers fish and amphibians a livelihood. "
(* Source: outdooractive )
Coffee and cake stop at the Baroque Café Schmid in Steinhausen.