Between Schussen and Argen
TOUR INFORMATION *
"From Langenargen train station we head straight for the harbor through Bahnhofstrasse. The view over Lake Constance is wonderful from here. Two historic harbor cranes, the" big one "from 1900 and the" little one "from 1909 refer to the long-gone one The tradition of merchant shipping on Lake Constance, which is also linked to numerous sculptures on the lake, such as the “Dammglonker” (dock worker).
With a view of Montfort Castle, we turn right and past the landing stage for the scheduled boats. We are now on the Lake Constance circular route (route marking: blue point with black arrow running around). A short detour to the terrace or even to the tower of the moated castle promises additional views.
The opposite parish church of St. Martin is a pearl on the Oberschwäbische Barockstraße.
Then we leave the village on Untere Seestrasse and, after the lido, turn left onto the adventure trail “Seewiesen im Sand” to the lakeshore. The unmarked path runs parallel to the Lake Constance circular route and leads back to it before the mouth of the Schussen at the Hotel Schwedi. Behind it it goes to the right, along the edge of the forest, and on the concrete bridge over the Schussen. It is also called "armored bridge" by the locals. After the Second World War, French occupation troops were stationed in Schwedi and used the Ried as a military training area. Behind the bridge begins the nature reserve Eriskircher Ried, through which we continue to hike to the left of the meandering Schussen. It extends in the south of Friedrichshafen between the mouths of Rotach and Schussen. The nature reserve on the shores of Lake Constance is home to numerous rare plant and animal species.
At a fork, it is worth making a detour to the left to the Eriskirch lido with free access to the lake. While the Bodenseerundweg continues straight on, we take the Riedweg to the right to the Riedkapelle and pass the level crossing on Riedstrasse. To the left of this is the Eriskirch nature conservation center. The yellow diamond points straight ahead to the center of Eriskirch (0.4 km) and on to Mariabrunn (1.5 km). Immediately afterwards we orientate ourselves on the marking "Roter Strich" of the main hiking trail 9 (HW 9, Heuberg-Allgäu-Weg) of the Swabian Alb Association. The parish and pilgrimage church “Assumption of Mary” is on the right. Passing the town hall and turning right onto Brückenstraße we come to the historic Oberbaumgarten wooden bridge (built in 1824). On the opposite side of the Schussen we keep left and cross under Lindauer Strasse on the Schussen Altwasser. In the right curve it goes on, this time under the B31, to Mariabrunn. The parish church "To our dear woman" is right on the hiking trail. Two ceiling paintings by the rococo painter Andreas Brugger are worth seeing: "The healing effect of water" and "The intercessory power of Mary" (photos) show the founding legend of the pilgrimage.
We hike out of the village on the Montfortstraße and turn right after 600 m (signpost “Montfortachse 1.0 km”) onto a forest path into the Tettnang forest. The dead straight and 2 km long lonely path is only interrupted in its middle by the Langenargener Straße from Tettnang-Hagenbuchen to Tuniswald (formerly K7779). This 9 km long “Montfort axis” connects Montfort Castle in Langenargen with the New Castle in Tettnang in an almost straight line. The road was partially unsealed in 2004 and redesigned as a hiking and cycling path.
Arrived at the edge of the forest, HW 9 turns left. Already within sight of the parish church of St. Wendelin, we keep to the right ("Oberdorf, 1.0 km") and reach Tettnanger Strasse from Oberdorf. Opposite, continue on Dorfstrasse, to the left through Kirchweg, to continue to the right at the “Adler” inn. The “hiking trail” leads us out of the village to the sports field and finally to the Argen, one of the last white water rivers in Baden-Württemberg.
With the trail marker "Blauer Strich" we hike next to the idyllic river until shortly before its confluence with Lake Constance and pass several bridges. Behind the "Oberdorfer Brücke" follows the underpass of the B 31. Shortly after the railway bridge, we reach the cable suspension bridge over the Argen in Langenargen. The cable suspension bridge built by Karl von Leibbrand under King Wilhelm II from 1896–1897 is the oldest of its kind in Germany. It spans the Argen between Langenargen and Kressbronn with a width of 72 meters.
We pass the Argen Bridge, which is only accessible to pedestrians and cyclists, and continue on the banks of the Argen until it flows into Lake Constance. On the new Argensteg we cross the river again and reach the port of Langenargen via the marina and the Malereck. It is only a few minutes to the train station. " (* Source: outdooractive )